EXCLUSIVE: GORDON ANGLESEA — NEW REVELATIONS

October 21, 2016

 

headline_grid_guilty
GORDON ANGLESEA was today convicted of historic child abuse at Mold Crown Court.

The jury of six men and five woman unanimously found him guilty on four counts of indecent assault.

He was found not guilty of one charge of buggery.

Two men had claimed the retired North Wales Police superintendent abused them when they were teenagers in the 1980s.

The end of the case means Rebecca can reveal dramatic new developments in the case.

In 1997 a woman made an allegation that she had been indecently assaulted by Gordon Anglesea.

The woman — “ an adult acquaintance: of the family” — reported the matter to the North Wales Police.

anglesea

LYING
GORDON ANGLESEA admitted lying about an indecent assault which took place some time in late 1996 or early 1997. The fact that Anglesea lied under caution has been suppressed by the North Wales Police for nearly two decades … .
Photo: Trinity Mirror

The force submitted a file to the Crown Prosecution Service which decided there was “insufficient evidence” to prosecute.

Lady Justice Macur, the deputy presiding judge of the Court of Appeal, recently re-examined the case.

She had been asked by David Cameron to review the work of the North Wales Child Abuse Tribunal of 1997-1998.

Lady Justice Macur reveals Anglesea “lied when first questioned under caution” about the alleged offence.

Her report was published in March this year.

She said the North Wales Child Abuse Tribunal knew about the case in 1997 but did not obtain the file because North Wales Police claimed it was “not relevant”.

Lady Justice Macur noted that Anglesea “on his own subsequent admission“ lied in his first police statement about what she calls “a relatively minor indecent assault”.

She does not reveal the nature of the lie — or why she considered the indecent assault “relatively minor”.

macur_lj1

SUPPRESSED
LADY JUSTICE MACUR, the deputy presiding judge of the Court of Appeal, took more than three years and spent £3 million in her review of the work of the North Wales Child Abuse Tribunal. She said the Tribunal should have insisted on seeing the police file on the 1997 indecent assault allegation against Gordon Anglesea. It was relevant to the question of Anglesea’s credibility and could have altered the Tribunal’s verdict on the retired superintendent. When Lady Macur published her report in March this year, Anglesea’s name was removed because he was facing a criminal trial …

It is only with today’s verdict that the story can be told.

Rebecca believes the Macur Review contains more redacted material about Gordon Anglesea.

We asked the Ministry of Justice for a copy of the report with all redacted references to the retired superintendent removed.

A spokesman told us they would not do so — even though the Anglesea trial is now over.

Rebecca will take this matter up with MPs in the House of Commons.

♦♦♦

IN ANOTHER dramatic development, North Wales Police have confirmed an investigation is under way into an alleged cover-up in the Anglesea case.

In April 2002 detectives interviewed a man in Liverpool’s Walton Prison who gave them information about an alleged abuser with a distinctive birthmark.

The detectives were part of Operation Angel, an investigation into further allegations against already convicted paedophile John Allen.

Officlal records show the prisoner handed detectives a piece of paper with the names of three of the men he said had abused him.

The third name on the list consisted of a Christian name: “Gordon”.

The witness noted that “Gordon” was “prim and proper dressed, birthmark on face …”

nwpolicehq_002 3

COVER-UP
NEARLY A quarter of a century ago, officers from North Wales Police turned a blind eye to a serious child abuse allegation against Gordon Anglesea. Now the force — prompted by concerns expressed by detectives from the National Crime Agency — have launched an inquiry into what went wrong. 

Detectives from the National Crime Agency recovered internal North Wales Police emails which reveal senior officers were aware that “Gordon” could well be Anglesea.

One of the emails talked of “keeping quiet”.

A decision was taken not to investigate further.

Rebecca asked North Wales Police to confirm that the original interview was carried out by Detective Sergeant Challinor and Detective Constable Oldfield.

A spokeswoman would only say “the names you have provided are not entirely correct”.

Challinor has retired.

Oldfield is still a serving.

In a statement North Wales Police said:

“We can confirm that North Wales Police Professional Standards Department have received a complaint as a result of Operation Pallial that is being investigated.”

♦♦♦ 

A FULL account of the six-week Anglesea trial can be found in the article The Fall Of Gordon Anglesea.

Rebecca was the only news organisation with a reporter in court throughout the hearings.

The trial was a bad-tempered affair with prosecution QC Eleanor Laws and Anglesea’s QC Tania Griffiths often sniping at one another.

The jury — who spent most of the trial waiting for legal arguments to finish — threatened a revolt at one point.

On several occasions, the judge lost patience.

He warned the trial was in danger of becoming a “pantomime” …

♦♦♦ 

COMING
A FORCE FOR EVIL
HOW DID Gordon Anglesea get away with it for so long? 
The answer is he used the cloak of public office to conceal his crimes and counted on protection from North Wales Police. This article lays bare the conspiracy hatched at the highest levels of the force in the early 1990s to cover up its failure to investigate child abuse — and to protect Anglesea at all costs. In the process, the force helped Anglesea win a famous libel case and made a mockery of the £14 million North Wales Child Abuse Tribunal …

♦♦♦

DONATIONS

Rebecca editor Paddy French was the only journalist who attended every day of the Anglesea trial. He’s unpaid but there have been expenses of more than £2,000. If you want to make a contribution, just click on the DONATE button.

Donate Button with Credit Cards

CORRECTIONS

Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this article — they’ll be corrected as soon as possible.

RIGHT OF REPLY  
If you have been mentioned in this article and disagree with it, please let us have your comments. Provided your response is not defamatory we’ll add it to the article.


BROTHERS IN THE SHADOWS

September 9, 2013

rebecca_logo_04

THIS PROGRAMME examines the role of freemasons and police in child abuse cases in North Wales.

It tells how the existence of a masonic lodge for police officers was kept from the North Wales Child Abuse Tribunal in the 1990s.

A local newspaper editor stumbled on the story some time before the Tribunal began work.

At first North Wales Police denied it existed — a stance it was forced to abandon when the reporter produced a photocopy of the lodge entry in the provincial yearbook.

Then it claimed no serving officers were members — but that position also turned out to be wrong.

The journalist was amazed when the Tribunal was not told about the lodge.

But the core of the video is the extraordinary story of a paedophile ring which operated on the North Wales coast in 2005-6.

Orchestrated by a murderer, the ring included a retired police officer and several freemasons.

One of these masons is still at large.

Rebecca Television asks if police have done enough to bring this masonic child abuser to book.

The story has uncanny echoes of the 1980s and 1990s when North Wales was awash with rumours of a paedophile ring — allegedly involving police officers and masons — exploiting children in care.

Those rumours led to the establishment of the Tribunal.

When Brothers in the Shadows was first published, in 2010, the general view was that the issue has been laid to rest by the Tribunal in its massive report, called Lost in Care, published in 2000.

The Tribunal found no evidence of a paedophile ring and cleared North Wales Police of charges that it had failed to investigate child abuse allegations properly.

Rebecca Television was virtually alone in raising questions about the work of the Tribunal.

These doubts were dramatically vindicated last November when David Cameron announced a new police investigation and a review of the work of the Tribunal.

Also published today is an article which examines the 2005-6 paedophile ring in more detail — The Missing Masonic Child Abuser.

(Please note that the programme is a high quality video and may take some time to begin playing.)


♦♦♦ 

© Rebecca Television 2010 & 2013

CORRECTIONS  Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this programme — they’ll be corrected as soon as possible.

RIGHT OF REPLY  If you have been mentioned in this programme and disagree with it, please let us have your comments. Provided your response is not defamatory we’ll add it to the article.

DONATIONS  If you would like to support the work of Rebecca Television, you can do so by clicking on the DONATE button.

Donate Button with Credit Cards


%d bloggers like this: